VCCVR Partner Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

view all faqs
Can I ride an ATV, 4-wheeler, dirt bike, or other all-terrain off-road vehicle on the roadway?

Paved Roadway

Off-Road Vehicles may not be operated on a paved roadway within Vanderburgh County. State law does permit a registered off-road vehicle to be driven across a paved roadway, or to be driven along the right-of-way adjacent to but not upon paved roadway. The operator must have a valid driver’s license.

Gravel Roadway

Registered Off-Road Vehicles are authorized to use gravel roads in Vanderburgh County, Indiana, outside the corporate limits of the City of Evansville, Indiana subject to the following:

  • Vehicle must display placards indicating they are a slow-moving vehicle
  • Vehicle must have operation lights as required by law, and such lights must be operating at all times
  • Vehicle is limited to speeds not in excess of twenty (20) miles per hour
  • No passengers are permitted
  • Use is limited to compliance with all ordinances of Vanderburgh County and laws or regulations of the State of Indiana relative to use of public roadways.


For information regarding how to register your all-terrain vehicle please visit the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) at:

The BMV will not register an off-road vehicle for highway use (regardless if lighting, street tires, and safety equipment has been retrofitted).


Indiana Code 9-18.1-14-11 requires an individual less than eighteen (18) years of age who is operating or riding on an off-road vehicle to wear a DOT approved helmet. IC 14-16-1-33 places responsibility for ensuring underage riders wear helmets on the owner or possessor of the ATV.

Golf Carts

By statute golf carts are not considered off-road vehicles. For more information, please click here.

Last Updated: August 9, 2017

Send Us A Tip