HOW TO APPLY FOR A HANDGUN PERMIT AND THE HANDGUN PERMIT APPLICATION PROCESS
Paper applications are not accepted.
Step One - Application
- You must go on line and fill out an application.
- When completing the application, you must specify the agency you are applying through. If you live in Vanderburgh County, (outside the city limits) select Vanderburgh County Sheriffs Office. If you live inside the corporate city limits, select Evansville City Police. Note that selecting the wrong agency may delay the application process. If you are uncertain of your residence, you may call 436-7974 or 421-6201 to clarify.
Step Two - Fingerprints and Fees
- Call 877-472-6917 to make an appointment for fingerprinting.
- The station for printing is L-1 at 2532 Waterbridge Way this is located behind Grandy's on First Ave.
- You must pay the state fee at this time.
- Contact our Gun Permit Clerk at 812-421-6360 to make an appointment to pay the county fee.
Once the application has been approved, fingerprints and application have been submitted and all fees are paid, processing time should be approximately 3 to 7 days.
You may be declined a handgun permit for any of the following reasons:
- If you have ever committed a felony.
- If your record shows a propensity for violence.
- If you have a history of domestic violence.
- If you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- If you have threatened law enforcement officers with violence.
The State also reserves the right to revoke any license that has been issued if you are convicted of any felony or if any of the above apply after your license has been issued.
For more information on handgun laws and permit information you can go to www.in.gov and select Firearms licensing or contact the Indiana State Police Firearms Division at 317-233-5054.